It’s National Pet Day – More Treats!
We love our furry friends (feathered, gilled, shelled, etc.). Pet ownership in the United States has increased dramatically over the past three decades. In 2023, 66% of US households (or approximately 86.9 million households) own a pet. From companionship to emotional support, pets are an integral part of their owners’ lives. Actually, 85% of dog owners and 76% of cat owners consider their pet a member of the family. Come on, you know you said it too!
Think about it: A record 3.6 million Americans tuned in to Puppy Bowl this year. If you missed it, Team Fluff won the “Lombarky” trophy after beating Team Ruff 87-83.
Pet Ownership in the United States:
- Dogs are the most popular pet in the United States (65.1 million American households own a dog), cat trackings (46.5 million households) and freshwater fish (11.1 million households).
- Millennials Make Up the Largest Percentage of Current Pet Owners (33%%), followed by Generation X (25%) then baby boomers (24%) .
- In 2022, Americans spent $136.8 billion on their petsup nearly 11% from 2021 ($123.6 billion).
- Dog owners spend an average of $730 a year on their dogs.
- 42% of dog owners and 43% of cat owners bought their pet from a storewhile 38% of dog owners and 40% of cat owners purchased their pet from a shelter or animal shelter. (In this writer’s view, it should be the other way around.)
We all agree that the love of a pet is priceless. – but the cost of owning one isn’t always. Veterinary care, grooming, food, treats, among others, can add up quickly. A Forbes survey of over 5,000 dog owners in the United States found that 41% of dog owners spend between $500 and $1,999 per year on their dogs.
If an unexpected vet bill pops up for a major incident, you could end up paying thousands of dollars just for it…42% of pet owners say it’s hard to cover a surprise vet bill of $999 or less. Pet insurance can partially reimburse you when you foot the bill for an unforeseen accident or illness of your pet. And while you might not want to add another expense to your pet care costs, you might be surprised at how affordable pet insurance can be. Will it still be accepted? No. Just like our insurance, there are stipulations.
We love our pets so much. that in a recent survey, 51% of pet owners said they believe they can sell their pet’s products to other people online. Thirty-three percent of pet owners have already has designed its own pet “merchandise”.
So on National Pet Day, give your pet extra treats, so they know you love them. Yeah – like they don’t already!
And here are the States with the Most Devoted Dog Owners (based on the percentage of dog owners who would spend $4,000 or more out of pocket for life-saving medical care for their dog, and the percentage of dog owners who stayed at a job they disliked because ‘it allowed them to work remotely or had a dog-friendly office)