RALEIGH-DURHAM, NC – A woman’s kitchen was badly damaged when her refrigerator exploded.
Lenore Satterthwaite experienced a major inconvenience when her fridge stopped working and all her food went bad. However, that was nothing compared to what happened next: his fridge blew up.
Lenore was sitting at her computer when she heard a loud noise that sounded like an earthquake. When she went to investigate, she found that her refrigerator had exploded and the doors were on the floor. The explosion caused extensive damage throughout her home, including walls, furniture and the stove.
Lenore immediately called 911 and firefighters responded. The Person County Fire Marshal investigated the incident and found there was no evidence of an electrical fire or anything else in the home that caused the fire. event. They believe the explosion came from the refrigerator, but they could not determine the exact cause.
Lenore had purchased the Frigidaire refrigerator the previous fall. A few days before it exploded, she had requested a warranty repair from Frigidaire because the refrigerator was making a loud noise. A technician came to her house and found that the fan was not working properly, causing poor temperature regulation. He ordered a new fan, but the refrigerator blew up before it could be installed.
“I was on the computer, I thought it was an earthquake. It was so strong and I walked in and the doors were on the ground,” Lenore explained. “I just saw the refrigerator doors on the floor here and the holes in the wall. The whole wall was there. And the other side of the wall too,” she said, showing the destruction in all its house after the incident.
The force was so great that it damaged his stove, walls and furniture.
“He said it was your problem, he had the freezer part apart. He said the fan wasn’t working properly to keep the temperature regulated, so he had to order a fan,” Lenore said of technician’s visit.
She called Frigidaire and her home insurance ended up covering all the damage.
When I contacted frigidaire, a representative said in part, “Consumer safety is our top priority. We contacted Ms. Satterthwaite to better understand that we are actively reviewing her product and service information records.”
“I hate that anyone goes through what I’m going through, I could have been badly hurt,” Lenore said.
She is grateful that no one was in the kitchen when the explosion happened.
Exploding refrigerators are not uncommon. There are reports of it all over the country, with a variety of manufacturers.
Experts say if you notice a problem, call for service immediately.